A spin on chicken cordon bleu, with a roasted green chile folded in with the cheese and ham, as well as green chile power in the sauce.
Green Chile Chicken Cordon Bleu Ingredients
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, butterfly cut or pounded to about 1/2 inch
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- Roasted, peeled green chiles
- 4 slices of ham
Butterfly slice or pound the chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a slice of swiss cheese, a roasted chile, and a slice of ham on each breast. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks or tie with baking twine (aka cotton string)
- Egg, scrambled (brush this on the chicken prior to rolling in panko)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup panko
- 4 tablespoons butter
Mix the panko and paprika on a small plate. Brush the chicken with egg and roll in the panko mixture until the chicken is thoroughly covered.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes, turning once. Remove the chicken from the pan and finish cooking it in the oven at 350 degrees. Takes about 20-25 minutes if it isn’t a thick breast.
- 1 teaspoon green chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup dry white wine (substitute chicken broth if you have no white wine)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Add the wine, green chile powder and bouillon. Simmer while the chicken is in the oven. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened.