Coal was discovered in Una de Gato Arroyo in 1902. By 1905 60 miners set up a mining camp in what would become Hagan. They named the town after William Hagan, a local official of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, which was probably an effort to curry favor. The railroad companies had an enormous impact on the fortune of mining towns. The railroad eventually extended tracks to Hagain, but it took decades.
They mines closed in 1910 for more than a decade due to the cost associated with hauling coal by wagon to San Felipe. However, in 1919, an entrepreneur from New Orleans talked a group of investors into putting up $450,000 to develop mining operations. They built housing, a power plant, and outbuildings for the mines. They raised additional funds for the rail spur, which was completed in 1924.
The town boomed with the arrival of the railroad. There were restaurants, a hotel, a school, and other businesses; however, the prosperity was short lived. The coal ran out in 1930 and the community collapsed. The post office closed in 1931. They dismantled the railroad in 1933. The town was completely abandoned before World War II.
All that remains in Hagan are a few crumbling buildings and foundations. The most impressive building remnant is the facade of general store. It was a two-story edifice that housed a bank, post office, pool hall, barbershop and general mercantile.
There isn’t much information available about Coyote. The coal mining community was about three miles west of Hagan. The town died before the railroad arrived. There is nothing left other than crumbling adobe foundations and debris.
Hagan and Coyote are on private property east of San Felipe pueblo. The Diamond Tail Ranch owns the land. There are several no trespassing signs. They don’t take kindly to trespassing due to the hazards associated with mine shafts and vandalism in the past.
There is a dirt road at the back of the San Felipe casino parking lot heading into the hills. The road follows a large arroyo. It is not a good road to travel when it rains and the road isn’t always open.
The remains of Coyote are about eight miles down the road, on the left, right before the road descends into the arroyo. It is easy to miss if you aren’t watching for adobe remnants. Hagan is on a bluff about three miles beyond the arroyo. Both communities are close enough to the road to get pictures, but don’t trespass. If you are interested in getting closer, New Mexico Jeep Tours has permission and the appropriate permits.